Keep up to date with all the most recent stories and events Off to Work is busy getting involved in.
John recently joined our Birmingham team to support the Back of House department.
Michael Rose recently joined our team to take on our Platinum Talent division.
Seen the Byron Burger story? Concerned that your own recruitment screening and onboarding might need improvements but not sure where to start?
We get it. Fake passport seizures at UK borders are ‘at five-year high’, plus immigration rules are confusing — it can be so difficult to find the exact information you need, and at times just plain frustrating! You’re a diligent employer but not an immigration expert… so what do we recommend?
1. Take preventative action before candidates arrive at your door: Telling potential candidates that you check passports thoroughly can act as a valuable deterrent for those trying to work using fraudulent or counterfeit documents.
2. Know what is accepted as Right to Work in the UK documentation: It is always your applicants’ responsibility to prove they have permission to work in the UK. If they are vague about visas/right to work documents or ‘aren’t sure where it is’, then alarm bells should be ringing. Full information isprovided here, but regularly check back to lists A and B documents — if it’s not a document on these lists, it is unlikely that it will be accepted, but…
3. …ask for advice when you aren’t sure: With so many different types of passports and visas in circulation and rules constantly changing, things get confusing. It’s not always obvious whether a visa provides permission to work and several have strict restrictions attached (such as student visas). The Home Office Sponsorship, Employer and Education helpline is genuinely helpful Tel: 0300 123 4699 BusinessHelpdesk@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
4. Use the online tools available — This handy link helps you decide whether the combination of documents provided gives Right to Work, according to lists A and B. Make sure you take copies of all documents (including a record of who made the check and the date it was copied) before your staff start working. Keep copies during their whole employment and for two years after they stop working for you.
5. Check and check again: Compare documents and their security features to an online library — we like Edison TD and Prado. Trust your instincts — if something doesn’t seem or feel right, it might not be. Double-check the document and consult with a colleague or with the Home Office.
6. Turn your HR and Recruitment teams into detectives: Get your teams interested in hidden passport and visa features (bringing out their inner sleuth!). By understanding the huge range of visual security features including UV, watermarks, latent images, Optically Variable Ink and more, they will take genuine interest and be able to spot counterfeit and fraudulent documents.
7. Use technology for peace of mind: The Home Office now recommends intelligent documents scanners as recruitment best practice. Working in partnership with Trust ID scanning solutions means we can easily authenticate features that we can’t check manually. There is complete central visibility of document scans from every office and control over ‘unusual cases’,meaning the stress has been removed from our Right to Work checks. Failed documents or those causing concern are referred in one click to advanced users for decision, with easy referral onward to Trust ID for expert advice. Our Trust ID passport scanners generate simple pass or fail results, leaving no grey areas, even for new users — we’ve caught 5 counterfeit documents since April 2016, saving us huge potential fines.
8. Have a back-up: Sometimes the internet fails; there’s a power outage; you spill coffee on your laptop…. Buy an inexpensive UV torch for additional security when you need to manually check passports.
9. Know when you need to check documents again: Keep a record of when visas, passports or permissions to work expire, and ensure you re-check documents before this date. We make our software do all the hard work for us by automatically blocking staff from shift bookings once their permission to work expires, but you can also use standard calendar entries and reminders to ensure permission to work is always valid.
10. Work closely and check in regularly with your staff and recruitment partners: If you use a trusted third party to supply staff or candidates, do ask to do an audit on their recruitment practices ensuring they are working to required standards. It is an excellent form of due diligence (and should they not be, the liability for illegal employment may well fall on you). We are audited at least 10 times a year and actively enjoy our clients taking an interest in the work we put into ensuring robust recruitment processes.
Feeling worried? That’s healthy and just means that you are diligent!
We’d love to help if we can in any way — please email Abbie.Pullman@offtowork.co.uk, Head of Talent Management — Casual Recruitment, or call us on 0207 386 4491.
Now it's easier for clients and their favourite staff to work together with automatic shift confirmations.
Introducing Client Heroes, a new service opportunity which will allow staff members picked by clients as Heroes to your operation to book themselves onto future shifts. Doing so will reduce the booking process for these staff from two stages to one streamlining the process for them and for you.
Our operations team will still be looking at every single booking, tweaking teams as necessary, to maximise the quality of the teams and service.
Our Client Heroes, while able to confirm themselves up for events, still need to re-confirm they have read all confirmed details for the booking and that they are ready to perform. Through the simplification of the system, it will allow them greater time to focus on the important details.
There are occasions where we need to move staff between shifts to fit operational needs. For example should a client have two events on the one evening and want a particular bartender on one of the events who has confirmed for the other, we will move them across.
The final make up of all teams is determined by us, with input from our clients, in order to enable amazing experiences for all.
We hope this makes the booking process easier and creates a more rewarding experience for our clients and staff.
What will I see on the website?
When you log on to the website, you will see when and where you have Client Hero status, and can see all shifts that are available for you to self-confirm. You simply need to confirm those shifts where you are free and would like to do rather than applying and waiting to hear back from our operations team.
Once I am a Client Hero will I be able to book myself up for all clients?
No, Client Hero status will be client specific and you will only be recognised as one once you have proved your ability with a particular client. Clients give us continual feedback on team and individual performance, so when remarks about your performance are consistently glowing we will move you onto being a Hero.
Can I be a Client Hero for more than one client?
Yes absolutely: if you always do your best and prove to be a star for our clients you can build up a long list of clients you can self-book for.
Will I be able to self-book for all events for a client once I am a hero for them?
We will make as many events as possible available for self-booking to you, however some events will not be suitable to do so. There may be, for example, a high level of security and details we need to check with you before confirming your booking.
Once I have self-confirmed, will I ever be moved onto another shift or cancelled?
We will move our Heroes as little as possible from shifts they have booked on. However to ensure the highest quality of service for our clients, changes are sometimes necessary.
There could be a situation where you have self-confirmed yourself for an event and the same client has another event on that night that they feel you are best suited for and hence ask you to be swapped across.
It is highly unlikely that you will ever be cancelled off an event. Should an event be cancelled in its entirety, we will always look to place you in alternative work.
Can I cancel myself on the website off shifts I have confirmed for?
No, you will not be able to cancel shifts you have confirmed for online. You will need to follow our normal protocol of calling the office depending on how long before the event the cancellation is.
Please note that should you auto-confirm and then cancel off shifts frequently, you may lose your Hero status as this is reflective of your long-term consistency and commitment.
Our Managing Director Philip Atkins on the recent referendum results.
With the referendum decision for the UK to leave the EU after 43 years, you may have many questions as to what it will all mean and equally how we will be planning for it. The length of time the UK has been in the EU, and the historic nature of this referendum, mean that it is hard for any accurate predictions to be made at this time. There are many hard political yards to go before it is clear as to what it will mean to the UK, and its relationship with the EU.
What is certain is that, other than the initial expected wobbles seen in currency and stock markets, change will be a slow process taking up to two years to become clear and resolve. Once initial hyperbole has died down we look forward to seeing a sensible and logical approach adapted to this both by politicians and business leaders. Securing the long-term economic future of the UK will undoubtedly be at the forefront of all discussions.
The UK hospitality industry is also well placed to remain robust during this initial period. Indeed while this decision has raised many uncertainties, should the UK pound not rebound from its initial drop in value after the vote, the UK hospitality industry is expected to see an upsurge in international tourism with it becoming a cheaper option.
While the longer term effects of this decision will take time to be revealed, we will maximise opportunities and focus on delivering success with you and for you, our wonderful and amazing team, as well as our clients.
Delivering excellence will continue to be key to this and thank you for being part of the diverse foundation that supports Off to Work and enables so many amazing experiences.
Working in partnership with Boyd's Brasserie at 8 Northumberland Avenue, Off to Work training support management with the in-house training of all restaurant and events staff. Covering a broad range of practical and soft skills...FIND OUT MORE
Our passion is for professional, high quality service surpassing our clients and their guests expectations. Find out why we are the best staffing suppliers in the industry...FIND OUT MORE
Off to Work combines an in-depth knowledge of the Hospitality, Catering and Events industries with over 50 years of Permanent Recruitment expertise. We can help identify the ideal candidate for your team...FIND OUT MORE